Posted on June 19th, 2014 No comments
UPDATE: The downtime lasted for half-an-hour. This was the worst downtime in Facebook history for the last 5 years.
The Facebook users haven’t been able to log in the social networking site for some time. It appears to be down for the users all over the world. The Facebook website displays a message:
"Sorry, something went wrong. We are working on getting this fixed as soon as we can."
Although it has a ‘Go Back’ button below the error message, it doesn’t take you anywhere. Facebook problem is not limited to browser version but, to the Facebook app in iOS and Android.
Posted on March 20th, 2014 No comments
BEFORE you read further : Make a backup copy of all your files. In case you accidentally make a mistake, you will be able to restore the backup files.
Do you want to have different sidebars in a WordPress blog for different typed of contents? Like different side bars for posts, pages and homepages.
Here is a simple fix:
- Backup all the files (to be safe)
- Find "sidebar.php" file in your theme folder.
- Make a copy of the "sidebar.php" and rename it to something like "sidebar-no2.php". WordPress naming convention is "sidebar-NAME.php". You can have any NAME.
- Make changes required to the "sidebar-no2.php". Upload to the server.
- Find the file ‘single.php’ (if you want posts to have different sidebar) and open it.
- Find <?php get_sidebar(); ?> and change it to <?php get_sidebar(‘no2′); ?>. Make sure the text between single quote marks ‘ is the NAME you have used after ‘ – ‘ in the name of new sidebar file.
- Save you ‘single.php’ file (or ‘page.php’ etc.) and upload it to the server.
Now, when you open your wordpress blog, Homepage will show the sidebar of ‘sidebar.php’ and when you open a single post, the contents of ‘sidebar-no2.php’ will be displayed.
Posted on January 6th, 2014 No comments
In a Facebook Page, by default, the new posts are kept on top of the old ones. As a new post is posted, the previous post is pushed down. Sometimes, we might want to keep a post on top of all others. In such case, pinning the post to the top might be helpful.
The 3-step procedure to keep a post pinned on top in a Facebook page is as follows:
1. Write and post the post
2. After posting, move mouse cursor to the right hand until you see a dim downward facing arrow as shown below. Click on the arrow.
Posted on December 30th, 2013 No comments
If you want to create a preview screenshot of a video, you can use Media Player Classic (MPC). The MPC is a free media player – a very useful tool to view any type of media in computer. There are many different ways to take screenshot of a video, depending on the program you choose. MPC is one of the easiest and most popular way of creating screenshot of a video.
Here, MPC is used to create two different types of screenshots of a video.
- Single Image
- Multiple images – time stamped thumbnails
Part 1 – Single Image screenshot
Step by step method of creating Single Image screenshot
1. Open a video file in MPC and move to the position where you want to take the screenshot.
2. File –> Save Image …
Posted on December 10th, 2013 No comments
Since 2009 Computer Science Education Week’s (CSEW) has been celebrated every December but, it’s going to be big this year. Lot of big names and big companies are involved in conveying the message that computer are going to be a big part in the future. Some of the well known personalities are US President, Mark Zuckerberg, Aston Kutcher and so on.
The US President Barack Obama in the following video asks every American to learn not only to use gadget, but also to code the application. He says, “Don’t just buy a new video game, make one. Don’t just download the latest app, help design it. Don’t just play on your phone, program it.”
Posted on December 9th, 2013 No comments
In it’s online store and retail locations Microsoft is selling Venue 8 Pro tablet from Dell with Windows 8.1 operating system for for $99. The price is a $200 discount from the device’s regular price. There are a few catch
- The promotion price is only available for the customers in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Each store will only sell the first 20 tablets on the discounted price.
- Online store has 100 tablets for $99. After that it costs $199.
If you want to grab the chance to buy the tablet you have to act fast as there will only be 20 tablets available for the $99 price. After the discounted tablets are sold, the tablet will be sold for $199. The online store will have a stock of 100 tablets at $99. The remaining tablets will also cost $199 for the rest of the day or until the stock is finished.
The one-day-deal is designed to create a buzz on Windows 8 tablets as the holiday shopping rush approaches.
Posted on November 1st, 2013 No comments
Google has released the Nexus 5, the new phone running the latest Android OS – KitKat. The phone packed with featured replaces Nexus 4.
The Nexus 5 is built by LG, the company that built the last Nexus phone. The smartphone features a five-inch, 1080p HD screen. Powered by a 2.26 GHz Snapdragon processor. The 8-megapixel camera comes with features to correct small hand movements and take better quality pictures in low-light situations and fast-moving objects. The camera also works with Google+ features to edit and share photos.
One of the biggest plus point of the Nexus 5 is the price. The 16GB version starts at $350 and the 32GB model starts at $400. The price is a lot cheaper when compared to similarly spec’ed off-contract smart phones from Samsung, Apple and others.
The newest version of Android OS named KitKat 4.4 is debuted with Nexus 5. Google Now, a search system is now integrated with the OS making it easier to gathers data from the location and preferences. The new setting are geared to give users better search results.
The Hangouts is the default text messaging, calling and video calling app. Google claims that KitKat uses less memory when compared to older version. The OS is claimed to perform faster and is claimed to be suitable for the old phones and new phones with not-so-powerful specifications.
Posted on October 21st, 2013 No comments
Apple is going to release some new products in the media event scheduled to be held on October 22, 2013.
Not much is known about what Apple releases on the day but, according to the rumors there is high chance that the following new products will be announced.
The most expected product is the new version of iPad. The design of iPad5 is expected to follow that of iPad Mini. The new iPad is expected to be thinner, lighter, 64-bit processor, and a fingerprint scanner like the one on the 5s.
The invitation graphics talks about ‘cover‘ and there is rumor that the new iPad cover might also feature a keyboard. Keyboard is essential for productive works. A cover with keyboard makes perfect sense after Apple announced to offer iWorks suite for free to the new device users.
iPad Mini is also expected to be updated with Retina Display. There is high chance that Mini be colorful like the 5c. After the release of the new version, old Minis are expected to remain in market with a cheaper price tags.
Posted on September 10th, 2013 1 comment
It is a well known fact that Apple keeps its plans secret and there are a lot of people trying to break into the closed garden. Based on all the rumors, we have collected everything we know about Apple’s announcement today.
Gold Rush – iPhone 5S
- Fingerprint scanner - The latest update of iPhone, iPhone 5S, is expected to feature fingerprint scanner on the ‘Home’ button. Based on a number of different sources, the scanner is a feature almost ‘confirmed’.
A photo of rumored iPhone fingerprint scanner.
- Dual-LED Flash – MacRumors website leaked a photo of so-called iPhone with a dual-LED Flash. Such a flash would capture a better picture.
- Better camera – The camera resolution in the new phone is expected to be in the range of 12-13 megapixel.
- A7 Chip – The new chip in the iPhone is rumored to be more than 30 percent faster than A6.
- Screen size – Although there is a high chance that the screen size to remain 4", some rumors point that Apple has been testing various screen sizes.
- Gold iPhone – So far, black and white are the only two color options. Rumors state that Apple might release a Gold colored iPhone with the other colors.
Posted on June 14th, 2013 No comments
Microsoft took a long time to port the productivity suite, Microsoft Office to iOS devices. Microsoft ignored when the people most craved for the software and now when they have found alternatives (and get used to them), not many are excited by the Microsoft announcement.
While watching the promo video (attached at the end of this post), the editing of a MS Excel file in landscape mode looks so terrible. The keyboard covers up everything and you can’t see what you are editing.
The Office for iOS is only available for Office 365 subscribers and is only designed for small screen of iPhone. Although iPad users can also download it, the software doesn’t utilize the benefits of the bigger screen.