Apple’s entry-level white MacBook will no longer be available for purchase for general customers. Introduced to succeed iBook and PowerBook some five-years back, is officially replaced by the entry-level MacBook Air. The MacBook Air costs the same price as the white MacBook, $999.
Apple has said that the remaining stock of white polycarbonate MacBook will only be sold to education institutions.
MacBook Air offers latest and advanced technology when compared to white MacBook.
- fast NAND flash memory for storage
- ultraportable thin design and light weight
- unibody aluminum casing.
It however comes with some constraints like:
- 11.6-inch display compared to larger 13-inch display of white MacBook
- Lack of optical drive
- Ethernet port
- less hard drive space
Technical specification of 11.6-inch Macbook Air:
Size and Weight
- Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
- Width: 11.8 inches (30 cm)
- Depth: 7.56 inches (19.2 cm)
- Weight: 2.38 pounds (1.08 kg)
- Flash, available in capacities of 64GB or 128GB
- Standard specification – 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB shared L3 cache [$1199 model configurable to dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache, only at the Apple Online Store.]
- Memory – 11.6-inch: 2GB ($999 model) or 4GB ($1199 model) of 1333MHz DDR3 onboard memory, $999 model configurable to 4GB, only at the Apple Online Store.
- Graphics – Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 256MB or 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
- Connections – Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), Thunderbolt port
- Battery – wireless web – up to 5 hours and comes with 35-watt-hour; 45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe power port
- Wireless – 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;5 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible, and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Stereo speakers, Omnidirectional microphone, Headphone port