UPDATE: The downtime lasted for half-an-hour. This was the worst downtime in Facebook history for the last 5 years.
The Facebook users haven’t been able to log in the social networking site for some time. It appears to be down for the users all over the world. The Facebook website displays a message:
"Sorry, something went wrong. We are working on getting this fixed as soon as we can."
Although it has a ‘Go Back’ button below the error message, it doesn’t take you anywhere. Facebook problem is not limited to browser version but, to the Facebook app in iOS and Android.
In a Facebook Page, by default, the new posts are kept on top of the old ones. As a new post is posted, the previous post is pushed down. Sometimes, we might want to keep a post on top of all others. In such case, pinning the post to the top might be helpful.
The 3-step procedure to keep a post pinned on top in a Facebook page is as follows:
1. Write and post the post
2. After posting, move mouse cursor to the right hand until you see a dim downward facing arrow as shown below. Click on the arrow.
Incoming search terms:
- top laptop computerskkkkkkkkkk
Facebook has invited reporters in a press event on April 4 to be held in its Menlo Park, California office.
With a message "Come See Our New Home on Android" in its invitation card, speculation of Facebook developing it’s own smartphone based on Android operating system.
On December 3, 1992 an UK engineer, Neil Papworth, sent the first short message service (SMS) with the message "Merry Christmas." Now it has been 20 years of text messaging. Although it was Papworth who sent the first message, text messaging was an idea proposed by a Nokia engineer Matti Makkonen in1984.
The first message was sent from a computer. At that time, messages could only be received on phones but can’t be sent from phone or replied. It took quite some time for SMS to actually been adopted by larger mass. In 2007 28.9 billion text messages were sent in a month in the US. The amount in June this year is 184.3 billion according to CTIA mobile trade group.
Before mobile phones were smart enough to send emails and instant messages, SMS was the only means of text communication. But, with the increase in the popularity of smartphones less people are using SMS for communication. Popularity of Facebook chat, Twitter, iMessage, BBM, Google Talk, Skype and similar services. Twitter says that it was inspired by SMS and like SMSs 160 character limit, Twitter limits it’s posts to be a maximum of 140-character long. And, it’s truly mobile as some 60 percent of Twitter users access the service through mobile phone.
Facebook on Thursday reached the billionth mark on it’s member count.
To mark the achievement in members, Facebook released a 90-second promotional video clip by a Mexican director, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. Inarritu is an Oscar-nominated director for his Spanish-language film "Amores perros". The video compares Facebook to chairs for people to sit together, bridges, airplanes and doorbells.
Talking about the 1bn milestone and the video release, Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg said, "For the first time in our history, we’ve made a brand video to express what our place is on this Earth."
Twitter allows you to delete your Twitter account and it is easy (and reversible within 1 months too).
You are allowed to have more than one accounts although they need different email addresses. There are some third-party tool supporting log-in through multiple Twitter accounts at the same time (Example – TweetDeck)
Step-by-step Deleting (or suspending for at most 30 days)
- Sign in to the Twitter account.
- Click Settings.
- Click on the Account tab in the Settings page.
- Near the bottom of the page, click the "Deactivate my account" link.
- In the "Is this goodbye?" page confirm by clicking on "Deactive @yourname" button to delete your Twitter account.
Incoming search terms:
- can you suspend twitter account
- how to delete a suspended twitter account
- how to delete account on twitter on tablet
If you KNOW the current password
Changing Twitter password
- Sign in to your Twitter account.
- Click Settings. Click on second last icon, a head, on the Twitter’s black bar to open the menu containing ‘Settings’.
- Click the Password tab, on the left.
- In the Current Password text box, type your existing Twitter password.
- Type a new password in New Password and Verify New Password text boxes.
- Click Change. Your account is updated with the new password.
If you DON’T KNOW the current password
One of our readers had asked how one can delete a Facebook message.
Q. I had sent a hate message in Facebook to a girl last year. When I tried deleting it, I can only found "Archive" option and clicked on it. Now, I wonder if the message is deleted or not. Is "archive" same as "delete" in Facebook? (S.S.)
A. No, archiving a message doesn’t delete it. It is saved and you can always get it back. You can archive a message easily but it is not same as deleting and archived message is always there in your profile. Let me first talk about how to archiving and unarchive a message.
Archiving Facebook Message
In the message-list window you can see a ‘x’ at the end of each message. If you click on it, the message is removed from the message-list. But, it is not deleted, so you can get it back if you like. To ‘unarchive’ the archived message click on eyeglass icon beside "Search Message". As shown in figure below:
When you click on the icon, it expands to show you a menu as shown in figure below. Click on "Archived Message" to see all the messages you had archived before. You can read them or unarchive to bring back to the message-list.
Incoming search terms:
- smile facebook
- how do you delete fb messages on a nextbook tablet
- how to delete messages on facebook from laptop
- how to unarchive facebook messages on your phone
Social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are gaining popularity day by day and other Internet strongholds like Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft had tried to grab their share of social networking traffic without much success to date. Although Google has done a pretty good job by launching Google Plus after a number of failures.
Among others, Facebook is one of the popular social network website at the current time. Some use it for one purpose and others for more than one purposes. Here are the list of things Facebook can be effectively used in our life:
• Search and find old friends and classmates.
• Track down lost family members.
• Create social and professional circles and expand it by connecting with various people all over the world.
• Share interesting photos, videos, and website links.
• Recommend and get recommendation for shopping, books, movies, music and so on.
• Exchange wishes for special occasions like birthdays, marriage, and other events.
• Play online games, share the score and compete with friends.
• Spread the word about social, political events and charities.
• Invite and schedule parties and get-together. Track visitors and plan accordingly.
• Messenger like – text and video chat with friends.
• Do business online by buying and selling stuff
• Search for job, contact prospective employers and market oneself.
• Do online marketing of businesses or websites.
I hope this list will be helpful to open new avenue in your social behavior.
Incoming search terms:
- what can be done on facebook
The two year search deal between Microsoft’s Bing and Twitter was renewed for the next two years. Google had similar search deal with Twitter for the last two year, that ended on July 2. But, Google decided (or was it Twitter?) not to renew it again leaving Bing the sole search service provider of Twitter.
Looking into the reasons behind Google’s unwillingness to renew the agreement AllThingsD noted that the Google-Twitter relationship ha became tense with the Google’s launch of its Twitter competitor social network, Google+. Google is trying to capture the social network crowd with it’s all-in-one social platform Google plus.
Microsoft and Google had been the major sources of revenue for the micro-blogging platform.