Apple has updated line of MacBook Pro notebooks, bringing several new features to the the aluminum-clad notebooks. As usual, Apple is offering six standard MacBook Pro configurations across the line’s three sizes:
13″ MacBook Pro
– $1199: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive
– $1499: 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive
15″ MacBook Pro
– $1799: 2.4 GHz Core i5, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive
– $1999: 2.53 GHz Core i5, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive
– $2199: 2.66 GHz Core i7, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive
17″ MacBook Pro
– $2299: 2.53 GHz Core i5, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive
Some of the notable changes include:
13″ pros are still stuck with Core 2 Duo processors while the 15″ and 17″ feature Core i7 and i5 processors.
The 13″ MacBook Pro features the NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics processor that offers 48 processing cores, three times that of the previous generation. Apple claims a performance boost of up to 80% with the new graphics capabilities while also being able to deliver up to 40% less power usage. The 15″ and 17″ MacBook Pro models utilize the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with either 256 or 512 MB of dedicated memory, offering more horsepower while also delivering up 30% greater energy efficiency. The 15″ and 17″ MacBook Pro models also offer automatic graphics switching, allowing the system to seamlessly switch between the dedicated NVIDIA graphics processor and the included integrated Intel HD graphics processor for optimal balance of power and efficiency.
Battery lives in all three MacBook Pro models is considerably higher as compared to previous models. Battery life increase has been achieved through a combination of larger battery capacity and energy efficiency. The 13″ MacBook Pro now offers up to 10 hours of power, while the 15″ and 17″ models boast battery life of 8-9 hours. The previous generation of the MacBook Pro had 7 hours on the 13″ and 15″ models and 8 hours on the 17″ model.
Up to 500 GB, 5400-rpm SATA hard drives across all three sizes, with the 15″ and 17″ models also offering the option of up to 500 GB, 7200-rpm drives.